Emergency Medical Technician
Ready to make a difference? Let Agape get you started.
SPRING Course Start Date: April 21, 2018
Early Bird Discount: $200 off your tuition – enroll by March 12
Enrollment Deadline: April 13 (seats filled – wait list available)
Click here for Spring SCHEDULE
FALL Course Start Date:October 6, 2018
Early Bird Discount: $200 off your tuition – enroll by August 6Microsoft-Word-Agape-EMT-Fall-2018-Schedule, 2018
Enrollment Deadline: August 28, 2018 (15 seats available total)
Click here for Fall SCHEDULE
Training to provide students the knowledge, skill, and clinical training necessary for basic life saving care as required to work and be licensed as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). Students will obtain the knowledge and physical practice needed to fulfill requirements in pre-hospital (EMS) and hospital (ER) clinical settings. Students will also obtain understanding on how to maintain their well-being in this physically, emotionally, and mentally challenging career. Treating patients with respect and compassion while providing care above standard level is required for fulfilling program objectives. Upon successful completion of the program students will receive a Certificate of Completion and are then eligible to take the National Registry EMT exam and fulfill requirements for State licensing.
EMTs primarily work for local EMS providers caring for the sick or injured in emergency medical settings. People’s lives often depend on the quick reaction and competent care provided by these workers. EMTs and paramedics respond to emergency calls, performing medical services and transporting patients to medical facilities. Their work can be physically strenuous and stressful, sometimes involving life-or-death situations.
Employment of emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and paramedics is projected to grow 15 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. Emergencies, such as car crashes, natural disasters, and acts of violence, will continue to require the skills of EMTs and paramedics. (https://www.bls.gov)
Average EMT starting wage in Northern Michigan is $13-$14/hr.
Process for becoming certified as an EMT is as follows:
- Approx six weeks prior to course completion students are instructed to set up account on NREMT.org and State of Michigan eLicensing portal.
- Final week of course students are instructed to log in to NREMT and apply to test.
- Course Coordinator emails a complete and correct course completion roster to MDHHSCourseCompletion@michigan.gov
- After authorization email from EMS Education Coordinator, Course Coordinator logs into NREMT to
- Verify practical exam completion for EMT candidates
- Verifies course completion
- Student log in to NREMT to obtain Authorization to Test and register to take cognitive exam through Pearson VUE
- If student passes NREMT exam: EMT student now eligible to apply for MI licensure through eLicensing Portal.
- If student does not pass NREMT exam: EMT student schedules retest with NREMT.
– $49 Application
– $1,500 Tuition
– Supplies Included
– $49 Application
– $200 Down Payment
– $120/month for 1 year
MI Works Funding Option
For tuition funding eligibility screening or questions, please contact a Career Facilitator at your nearest Northwest Michigan Works Center. Visit their website for contact details at www.nwmichworks.org and select the “Contact Us” tab to find a MI Works Center near you! Feel free to contact Agape’s office for assistance if needed.
Supplies provided during training:
– FISDAP Scheduling program
– Students receive 1 set of uniforms to keep.
All supplies are available for purchase, but are not required to be bought.
Students need to bring:
– Black work boot
– Black belt for pants
– Gloves with leather palms
– Pocket Notebook and Pen
– Small flashlight (pen, light, LED, etc)
– Watch with seconds (phone not acceptable)
– Be able and prepared for physically strenuous activity;
– Submit health records for required immunizations and records;
– Complete all required class, lab, and clinical hours.
Let us know you would like us to keep you posted on future dates.
CONTACT US for any questions.