PTCB Exam Preparation Course (Online Program)
What do Pharmacy Techs do?
Under pharmacist supervision, pharmacy technicians:
- supply medicines to patients, whether on prescription or over the counter
- assemble medicines for prescriptions
- provide information to patients and other healthcare professionals
- manage areas of medicine supply such as dispensaries
- supervise other pharmacy staff
- produce medicines in hospitals and the pharmaceutical industry
Just an example of some roles:
- Automation Analyst
- Health Services Technician
- Pharmacy Supervisor
- Pharmacy Technician
- State Board of Pharmacy
You can read some spotlight stories at PTCB’s website
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for pharmacy technicians as of May 2016:
- Is projected to grow 12% nationally between 2016-2026.
- 12,230 employed in Michigan.
- Annual mean salary for PhTs in Michigan is $29,990.
PTCB stands for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board. This is the most reputably recognized national certification organization for Pharmacy Technicians. With the new licensing requirements by the State of Michigan all Pharmacy Technicians have to be certified and licensed with the State to be hired as a Pharmacy Technician.
It is not required to take a PhT course to take the PTCB exam.
CPhT stands for someone who is a Certified Pharmacy Technician.
After the Course
Here is what is recommended after completing the course:
- Continue studying for 1-3 months after the course practicing terminology, calculations, etc in preparation for the PTCB exam.
- You can also purchase a CD of all lesson plans, handouts, slides, and videos used in the course for $10.00 if you are actively enrolled in the program. Contact us to order.
- Consider an internship at a pharmacy in your area to begin putting your knowledge to hands-on practical use. Many pharmacies are looking for techs and are willing to engage them in 4-10 week long internships where you can see the content applied in real life. This is highly beneficial for continued learning and for taking the next steps toward employment as a PhT. Don’t know where to start? Our program director is happy to help.
- Register here for the PTCB exam
- Utilize the PTCB certification handbook to answer frequently asked questions. Pages 11-18 of this handbook are especially helpful for understanding the next steps for your initial certification.
- Once you pass the exam—Congratulations!– apply for state licensure.
- Michigan’s PhT license application
- The Michigan license application fee is $55 and is paid directly to LARA.
- If you are in another State you can find your state’s requirements by searching “[state name] pharmacy technician licensure requirements“. While most states now require national certification to work as a PhT, not all do. Feel free to call us if you get stuck in your research.
- Michigan’s PhT license application
- Enjoy your new career as a Pharmacy Technician and keep in touch with us—we’d love to hear all about your successes in the industry!!
How does the course work?
This course is designed to meet the requirements necessary in order pass the national certification exam for Pharmacy Technician licensure. Students will achieve this through modulated learning in a multi-media online learning platform. Standards for this course have been systematically aligned with the benchmarks set by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
- 5 week program * Syllabus Outline
- 100% Instructor led online course
- 2022 Fall Classes Starting ..
- September 19
- November 7
- 2023 Classes Starting ..
- January 9
- February 20
- April 3
- May 15
- June 26
- August 7
- September 18
- October 30
- $49 Application
- $300 Tuition
- Books purchased separately by student
– see supplies below
State Aid Option
- For scholarship eligibility screening or questions, please contact a Career Facilitator at your nearest Northwest Michigan Works Center. Visit their website for contact details at www.nwmichworks.org and select the “Contact Us” tab to find a MI Works Center near you.
- “Manual for Pharmacy Technicians” 4th Edition—By Bonnie S. Bachenheimer ISBN-13: 978-1585282074
- “Pharmacy Technician Certification Review and Practice Exam” 3rd Edition–By Barbara Lacher–ISBN-13: 978-1585282081
- These books can be found on Amazon or other book stores by searching their ISBN
Online Program Requirements
- Internet connection
- Moodle Compatible web browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
- General Knowledge of navigating the internet
- Microsoft Office or Google Drive Docs
- Media Player and Adobe reader up to date on your PC
Optional Recommended Resources
- “Workbook for the Manual for Pharmacy Technicians”—By Mary McHugh–ISBN-13: 978-1585282579
- Agape PhT Supplemental Resource CD-ROM (all class handouts/ppt’s/videos/lesson plans) available from Agape School
CONTACT US for questions or more information.